1. Plaza in Chihuahua City - Silver from mines came here to the bank.
2. Mexican riders send us off with a 60K road ride
3. Beginning of the mule trail at Carachic. The rancher in the photo farms the land surrounding the old station
4. The village of Baquirachi. Here the trail becomes impassable by vehicles.
5. Arturo views the route ahead.
6. A local Tarahuamara provides directions.
7. Our camp (night two) at a farm in Huajochi. Our hosts are all pictured.
8. The first way station. Now inhabited by a Tarahuamara family.
9. Another view of Huajochi station.
10. Typical section of very rough trail. Hike a bike up.....
11. Rideable trail on the tops
12. Discussions with a local family.
13, 14. Present day cave homes.
15. Ruins of old station at Las Pilares. Used now as a barn by a family.
16. Crossing the Urique River on a footbridge at Siquerichi
17. Campsite a few kilometers past Siquerichi.
18. Arturo points to the deep ruts left by the mule trains.
19, 20. Ruins of the old station at La Laja
21. Rough trail in a canyon past La Laja.
22. The remains of the station at Teboreachi. A family lives in part of the building. The rest is in ruins.
23. First view of Copper Canyon gorge.
24, 25. Some sections of rideable trail. Caution is advised.....
26. Above the inner gorge.
27. David Appleton on a hike a bike.
28. Entering the desert environment.
29. Old mission ruins at canyon bottom.
30. The bridge over the Batopilas River
31. Batopilas central plaza
33. The old mining headquarters in Batopilas. This is where the silver was loaded on mules.
34. One of the many mine entrances in the canyon.
35. Ruins of employee housing at the hacienda.
36. Old stage stop at Carichi - where the silver was transferred from mules to stagecoach. Now inhabited by a family.
37. Quentin follows the well worn trail.
38. Looking back at the trail
39. Conversation with a local along the way
40. Mixed forest
41. The church at Norogchi on the Friday before Easter.
42. Men's processional
43. Women's processional.
44. Entering a village along the trail.
45. Smoke from hundred of years of fires mark a still inhabited cliff home.
46. Old church
43. Arturo in a cactus forest in the inner canyon.
44. Looking back at the trail's entrance to Batopilas
Home Trek the Silver Trail